Apple Music is a popular music streaming service that provides access to millions of songs.
However, there may be instances where certain songs or entire albums are not available for streaming on the platform.
Whether you have rare recordings, demos, live performances, or your own personal music creations, you can still make them available on Apple Music by following a few simple steps.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of uploading your own music to Apple Music on both Windows and Mac platforms.
How to Upload Music to Apple Music
To add music to Apple Music on Mac, open the Music app and import your music files by clicking “File” and selecting “Import.”
Choose the desired files or folders and click “Open.” Then, update your Cloud Library by clicking “File” and selecting “Update Cloud Library.”
For Windows users, download and install iTunes, open it, and go to “File.”
Select “Add Folder to Library” or “Add File to Library” to import your music. iTunes will automatically add the selected files to your Library.
Finally, click “File,” then “Library,” and choose “Update iCloud Music Library” to sync your newly added music across all devices.
How to Upload Music to Apple Music on Mac
Mac users running macOS Catalina and later versions can use the Music app to add their own music files to Apple Music.
You can store up to 100,000 songs in your cloud collection without utilizing your iCloud storage.
Here’s how to add your own music using the Music app on Mac:
- Launch the Music app: Locate and open the Music app either from your Mac’s Launchpad or the Dock.
- Import music files: In the Music app, go to the menu bar and click on “File.” From the drop-down menu, select “Import.” A Finder pop-up will appear.
- Select music files: In the Finder pop-up, navigate to the location of your music files or the folder containing the files you wish to add. Select the desired files or folders and click “Open” to import them into the Music app.
- Update Cloud Library: Once you’ve imported your music files, go back to the menu bar, click on “File,” and choose “Update Cloud Library.” This action will add the files to your Apple Music cloud collection.
Uploading Music to Apple Music on Windows
If you’re a Windows user, you can utilize the iTunes app to add your own music files to your Apple Music collection.
Similar to Mac, you can store up to 100,000 songs in your cloud collection without utilizing your iCloud storage.
Here’s how to add your own music using the Music app on Windows:
- Download and install iTunes: Begin by downloading and installing the iTunes app on your Windows computer if you haven’t done so already.
- Launch iTunes and add music files: Open iTunes and navigate to “File” in the menu bar. From there, select “Add Folder to Library” if you want to add an entire album, or choose “Add File to Library” for an individual song. Browse to the location where your music files are stored and select the desired files or folders to import them into iTunes.
- Music files added to Library: iTunes will automatically add the selected music files to your Library.
- Update iCloud Music Library: To ensure your newly added music syncs and becomes available across all your devices with iTunes or Apple Music, click on “File,” then “Library,” and finally “Update iCloud Music Library.”
How to Access Your Apple Music Files on Mobile Devices
After successfully uploading your music to your Apple Music cloud storage, you can easily access it from your mobile devices using the Apple Music app. Whether you’re using an Android device, iPhone, or iPad, the steps to access your music files remain the same:
- Launch the Apple Music app: Open the Apple Music app on your mobile device or open the Apple Music website in a browser.
- Navigate to your library: Tap or click on “Library” within the app or website. From there, select “Artists” to view the artists you’ve added and synced, or choose “Playlists” if you’ve created any playlists.
- Select your music: Tap on the band or artist you added and synced. If you don’t see your added music immediately, try closing and reopening the app or refreshing the webpage.
- Enjoy your music: Once you’ve selected the band or artist, browse through their albums or songs and tap on the specific album or song you want to listen to. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your own personal music collection on Apple Music.
Why Should You Get Your Music on Apple Music?
Apple Music offers artists a plethora of benefits that make it a compelling platform for distributing their music.
Not only does it provide access to a global audience, but it also boasts user features that enhance music discovery and provides valuable insights through the Apple Music for Artists platform.
Also, artists are monetarily rewarded for each stream their songs receive on the service. Let’s delve into the details of these advantages below.
User Features that Boost Music Discovery
Apple Music is equipped with user-friendly features that facilitate music discovery, increasing the chances of your music reaching a wider audience.
Understanding and leveraging these features can significantly benefit you as an artist.
- Playlists: Playlists have revolutionized the way listeners interact with music streaming services, including Apple Music. Users can create personalized playlists based on their favorite songs or add newly discovered tracks to existing playlists. As an artist, having your music included in popular playlists can expose your work to a larger audience and attract new listeners.
- Personalized Radio: Apple Music allows users to create their own radio stations based on a selected song or artist. By curating stations tailored to specific genres or moods, listeners can stumble upon your music while enjoying a personalized listening experience.
- Algorithmic Recommendations: Apple Music employs sophisticated algorithms to generate personalized recommendations for its users. These recommendations appear in the “For You” section, presenting listeners with songs and artists aligned with their musical preferences. By optimizing your presence on Apple Music, you increase the likelihood of your music being recommended to potential fans.
- Curated Playlists: Apple Music features expertly curated playlists crafted by its in-house team. These playlists cover diverse genres and showcase a variety of artists and songs. Getting your music included in these playlists can significantly boost exposure and introduce your work to a broader audience.
- Music Charts: Apple Music compiles its own music charts based on the popularity of songs and artists on the platform. This includes international charts that highlight global trends, as well as localized charts that focus on specific countries or regions. Appearing on these charts can provide valuable visibility and attract new listeners to your music.
Access to Apple Music for Artists
Apple Music for Artists is a dedicated platform that provides artists with valuable insights into their music’s performance on the platform.
Through this dashboard, you can access data such as the number of plays, daily listeners, playlist ads, and more.
These analytics help you understand your audience and make informed decisions regarding your music promotion and marketing strategies.
By leveraging these insights, you can optimize your presence on Apple Music and tailor your approach to attract and engage your fanbase.
Monetary Rewards for Streamed Music
One of the key advantages of having your music on Apple Music is the potential for monetary compensation. Apple Music pays artists for each stream their songs receive on the platform.
While the exact payment structure may vary, this revenue stream can provide a consistent income source for independent artists and established musicians alike.
By increasing your streams and building a dedicated fan base, you can boost your earnings and support your music career.
Uploading your music to Apple Music offers numerous advantages for artists. By following a step-by-step guide, you can easily make your music available on the platform.
Apple Music’s user features, such as playlists, personalized radio, algorithmic recommendations, curated playlists, and music charts, enhance music discovery and increase the chances of reaching a wider audience.
Embracing Apple Music as a distribution platform opens doors to a global audience and a range of opportunities for exposure and financial success.
- How to Enable or Disable iCloud Music Library | Complete Guide for 2023
- How to Fix iPhone won’t Play Music when Connected with USB to Car in 2023